Thursday, August 31, 2023

Daily Bible Quote On Love

 

Daily Bible Quote On Love

John 15:12
This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I have loved you.


John 15:12 is part of a larger discourse given by Jesus Christ to his disciples. To understand the verse in context, it's helpful to consider the surrounding verses and the overall message of the passage.

The context of John 15:12 is a portion of Jesus' farewell discourse, which takes place in the Gospel of John, specifically in chapters 13 to 17. In this discourse, Jesus is preparing his disciples for his impending crucifixion and departure from the physical world. He is imparting important teachings and instructions to guide them in their lives and ministry after his departure.

In John 15:9-17, the passage where John 15:12 is found, Jesus speaks about the concept of love within the community of believers. He uses the metaphor of a vine and branches to illustrate the interconnected relationship between himself (the vine) and his followers (the branches). Here's the context leading up to verse 12:

John 15:9-12 (ESV):
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

In this context, Jesus is emphasizing the importance of love among his followers. He draws a parallel between his love for them and the love they should have for one another. Just as Jesus has shown selfless and sacrificial love to his disciples, he commands them and by extension, us to love each other in the same manner. This kind of love goes beyond mere sentimentality; it involves selflessness, service, and putting others' needs before one's own.

The phrase "even as I have loved you" highlights the model of love that Jesus is setting for us. His love is characterized by humility, compassion, forgiveness, and a willingness to serve others. He has previously demonstrated this love through his actions, teachings, and ultimately through his upcoming sacrifice on the cross.

John 15:12 is a commandment from Jesus to us to love one another in the same selfless and sacrificial way that he has loved us. This call to love is grounded in the context of Jesus' farewell discourse, where he imparts essential teachings to prepare his disciples for their mission after his departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment